Interlibrary Loan gives you access to materials from libraries throughout Indiana and beyond.
As a service to library customers, TCPL offers the Interlibrary Loan program. Customers may request materials (books, audio-visual materials, copies of articles) from other libraries. It typically takes 2-4 weeks to receive ILL materials.
There are 3 ways to request ILL material
- 1) in person: come to the library and fill out an electronic ILL form at the reference desk
- 2) by phone: call the reference desk at 429-0113
- 3) Fill out this electronic form
Please Note: If ILL material is not available, customers will receive a Cancellation Notice via email or mail.
Once an ILL arrives, customers will be notified by TCPL via phone or email. The requested materials are held for 5 days at the Circulation Desk. Any materials not checked out within that time are returned to the lending library.
Typically ILLs are available with no charge. If there is no free lender, the ILL librarian will contact you regarding whether you are willing to pay a fee.
Interlibrary Loan Rules
- ILL is available only to TCPL cardholders.
- Requests are accepted only for titles not held by TCPL. We cannot accept ILL requests for books and other materials published within the last 9 months.
- The same materials cannot be requested more than once during a 6-month period. Only one season of a TV series may be requested at a time.
- Customers may place up to 3 ILL requests per day.
- Materials must be picked up and returned in person to the TCPL Circulation desk at any branch. Customers must leave the ILL cover slip intact. Do not return ILL materials in any book drop.
- Renewals are not always available. The lending library, not TCPL determines for how long the material can be checked out and whether the material may be renewed. If you need more time, please contact the TCPL Reference Desk in advance of the due date. Late renewals may not be allowed by all libraries.
- If the requested material is no longer needed, please contact the TCPL Reference Department and cancel your request.
- Any charges incurred from an ILL request will be charged to your library card. You will be charged even if you don’t pick up the material.
- Repeated failure to pick up ILL materials may result in loss of ILL privileges.
- Returning ILL materials very late or damaged may result in loss of ILL privileges. You are responsible for any replacement costs or late fees charged by the lending library if materials are returned late or damaged to TCPL.