The most heavily used area of any library system is its main youth room, and that’s certainly true for the Tippecanoe County Public Library system. In 2008, a $136,000 renovation replaced 20-year old carpeting, refurbished restrooms, relocated and expanded the preschool area, increased space for library collections, provided additional computer stations and replaced or refurbished aging and damaged furnishings.
Donors to the Youth Room renovation provided a significant portion of the funding.
- The Estate of Anna Akeley provided $30,000.
- The Friends of TCPL made a $25,000 gift.
- The Alfred J. and Dorothy N. McAllister Foundation contributed $18,750 to the project.
- The Community Foundation of Greater Lafayette provided over $7,000 for the purchase of a Learning Concepts Wall and a Wave Bench.
- Grants were also received from Tipmont REMC Operation Round Up, Wal-Mart, the West Central Dental Association, the estate of Walter Miehr, and the Scheumann Foundation.
- The Indiana State Library purchased two Awe Early Literacy computer stations.